|The question is not why the addiction, but why the pain?
— Dr. Gabor Maté
March 2020. What is this thing called Coronavirus? Why are they talking about a pandemic? And what does that really mean? Stay at home orders. State after state, country after country. Moving our practices from in person to virtual. Overnight, Zoom is a household word—a brand-new way to do therapy. Somehow we adjusted and moved forward.
October 2020. My Overland lease ended after twelve years. Closing the doors to fond memories. Home became my new office. Public storage, the temporary home for my office furnishings.
October 2021. Landing in a Santa Monica office. In the midst of the pandemic, a fresh beginning in my newfound professional home:
3301 Ocean Park Blvd, Suite 206
Santa Monica, CA 90405
(310) 281-8681 (same number)
Gratitude for this unexpected transition and the possibility of seeing clients in-person again. Turning the page. Renewal.
It’s Not About the Sex: Moving from
Isolation to Intimacy after Sexual Addiction
(A meaningful stocking-stuffer)
Just a reminder that my book, It’s Not About the Sex, is available on Amazon, Kindle or Audible at www.amazon.com. I’m so grateful for you spreading the word as this passion project continues to gain traction.
Conferences and Presentations In Review
- July 2021: International Brainspotting Conference (hybrid): The Opposite of Addiction is Connection: The Intersection of Attachment Theory, Nervous System Regulation and Addictive Disorders
- September 2021: Cape Cod Symposium for Addictive Disorders (in-person!): The Opposite of Addiction is Connection: The Intersection of Attachment Theory, Nervous System Regulation and Emotional Sobriety
- October 2021: Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health. October 2021, Seattle, WA. Hybrid, in-person attendee
- November 11, 2021 (4pm PT): Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health webinar: The Opposite of Sexual Compulsivity is Connection (FREE and open to the public. All are welcome).
Podcasts and Blog Posts
- Terra Holbrook, Polyvagal Theory, and Internal Family Systems
- Dr. Carol Clark, Addict America
- Debra Kaplan, Sex, Money, and Power
- Susskind and Merlino, Sex Addiction No More
- Susskind and Merlino, The Opposite of Addiction is Connection
If you know of anyone who would like to be a guest on our podcast, please contact us—whether that be you or someone you know. So please don’t be shy if you have something valuable to share related to recovery from trauma and/or compulsive sexual behavior.
Recent Blog Posts:
- 30 Years in Review: 1991-2021
- Beyond Sexual Compulsivity
Please visit my blog at www.purposefulrecovery.com for all archived posts.
Wishing you safe, healthy holidays as we continue to persevere through these extraordinary times.
Fall 2021, Vol. 15, Issue 53
In This Issue:
New Professional Home
Conferences in Review
Podcasts and Blog Posts
Order Andrew’s Recent Book:
It’s Not About the Sex:
Moving from Isolation to
Intimacy after Sexual Addiction
Andrew Susskind, LCSW, SEP, CGP is
a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Somatic Experiencing Practitioner, Certified Group Psychotherapist
and Certified Brainspotting Practitioner who brings more than 30 years of experience to his work.
Read more about Andrew’s
Read more about Somatic Experiencing
Read More about Brainspotting
View Andrew’s therapy video
12-Step Self-Help Groups
The Purposeful Recovery Blog
Forward Westside Notes
to a Friend